Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Government of India
Mahalanobis National Crop Forecast Centre (MNCFC) is an attached office of Department of Agriculture & Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture,Government of India. It was inaugurated on 23rd April, 2012 by Hon'ble Agriculture Minister.
The Centre has been established to provide in-season crop forecasts and assessment of drought situation using state of the art techniques and methodologies developed by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Multiple forecasts for 11 major crops at National/State/District level.
- Operationalization of methods developed by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) with respect FASAL and NADAMS project.
- Inclusion of additional crops in crop forecasts and sub-district level moderate to high resolution drought assessment in the country in collaboration with ISRO.
- Development and refinement of approach of crop forecasts and drought assessment based on trends in satellite and related technologies.
- Repository of database related to crop forecasts and drought assessments generated from different sources such as India Meteorological Department, Institute of Economic Growth and State Agricultural Authorities, etc.
- Assimilation of crop forecast results from other programmes, related to flood, drought etc.
- Evolution of Centre towards use of Geomatics in other aspects of agriculture, such as Cropping System, Horticulture, Soil and its Health, Rainfed Area Assessment & Management, estimation of Damage due to Natural Calamities.
- Working towards assessment of crop prospect at Global level.